February 25, 2013

Mom's Weekend, The Best Weekend

Our sorority's Mom's Weekend was a huge success, to say the least.  Each year our sorority has either mom's weekend or dad's weekend, and it switches off every year.  This year was designated to the moms, and I was fortunate enough to be on the committee that planned the entire weekend.  My mom came in on Thursday night so that we had even more time to spend together.  As soon as she got here, she took a few of my friends and myself to Olive & June for an amazingly delicious dinner.  We started off with seafood fritto misto and zucchini involtini (my favorite part of the meal- pictured below).  For our main course my mom and I split the whole wheat ravioli with goat cheese and roasted pears; seared golden tilefish with artichokes and citrus; and sides of roasted baby beets and baked eggplant.  We were going to order dessert at the restaurant, but decided to make a Tiff's Treats run instead.  I highly, highly recommend Olive & June, and I know Caramelized does as well :)


Friday was crazy hectic, as I had to rush around to get things ready for our sorority's Friday night event.  Luckily my mom didn't mind helping me all day, but thank goodness she was there because I needed all the help I could get!  Our "Dinner, Drinks & Dessert at the Driskill" event went off without a hitch, and everyone seemed to have a great time.  We hired a great photographer, a beautiful pianist, and worked with the amazing Driskill staff.  To decorate for the "Texas Chic" theme (for Go Texan Day) we set out Texas "confetti," cowboy boots, and even had a Texas necklace giveaway.  And thanks to my incredible mother, every girl and her mother also left with a personalized truffle from Sessy's Sweets.


We got creative with our pledge class event this year and decided to do a cooking demonstration with our moms at the Silver Whisk Cooking School.  After a long trek out to Lakeway, we sat down for a fun and interactive lunch.  We learned how to make deconstructed salads, chicken Parmesan with angel hair pasta, and tiramisu.  We all watched the staff "shake," jammed out to Beyonce and Britney Spears, and took turns volunteering with the chef.  My mom and I enjoyed the class and the delicious food, and look forward to taking more cooking classes together soon (I have to learn somehow)!


Because the weather was absolutely PERFECT outside, we spent the rest of the day walking around and shopping at the Domain.  I (un)fortunately had a good shopping day, and got a few goodies from J. Crew, Anthro, and Free People.  By the time we left the Domain it was 5 o'clock somewhere, so mom and I were ready for a little happy hour.  We stopped by Whole Foods on the way home to pick up an assortment of olives, cheeses, and other various appetizers.  We came home, polished off the appetizers and a bottle of our favorite Sonoma Cutrer, and made our way to Kenichi for a phenomenal sushi dinner.  I don't have any pictures from this meal- sorry guys.  As if I wasn't full enough, we then went to Halcyon with Cara and her mom where we ate a cookie with ice cream and drank "adult" caramel hot chocolate...yum.

Sunday morning we sat and had coffee before getting our nails done together.  Once again, it was gorgeous outside, so we went to have lunch on South Congress.  Then, sadly, mom had to pack up and drive home. 

I hope everyone else had as much fun with their moms as I had with mine!  Can't wait for her to come back and visit me again soon, because it is always a good weekend when mommy is in town.


No comments:

Post a Comment