January 16, 2013

Redecorating (On a Budget)


One of my favorite things to do is decorate, specifically, I like love decorating my bedroom.  My very first bedroom was completely handmade and painted Pepto Bismol pink (ick).  There were about 20 different patterns, and about 30 different colors going on.  I loved this room, especially because my mom sewed and painted everything in it herself, but come middle school, it was definitely time for a new room.  This is when my love for animal prints started, and I decided that I wanted to incorporate every possible animal print into one room.  While I was away at camp that summer, my mom surprised me and redecorated my entire room.  My walls were now tan, my window treatments were giraffe print, my bed was cheetah print, and my pillows were zebra print.

Unfortunately I only got to enjoy this room for a few years before my family moved to a new house.  With the new house came a new room, but this time I took a completely different approach.  My third room was directly out of PB Teen, of course.  I painted my walls in my bedroom sherbet orange and my bathroom baby blue.  My duvet cover had every color ribbon sewn on it, and my pillows were fuzzy pink and orange.  My new room had a giant bulletin board, which was covered in hundreds of pictures.  As if there weren't enough pictures on that bulletin board, I had two more large bulletin boards hung on my walls.

After six years of living in my PB Teen model room, I decided I wanted something more relaxing and more sophisticated.  Once again, my mom surprised me and began the redecorating process while I was away at school.  This time, she gave herself a challenge, and that was to do everything on a budget (with a few splurges, or course).  I now have a FABULOUS shabby chic room, with an all white bed, and soft blue walls.  We are still working hard to finish my room completely, but here are a few pictures of our progress so far.

Before:
As we started to take my room apart...
View of my windows before painting
My giant bulletin board...which I still don't know what to do with

During:
After we finished painting my room
View of my "nook" before I took everything down
 View of my windows after painting
Lamps from Home Goods ($50 each)
Mirrored nightstand from Home Goods- I am obsessed with mirrored furniture! ($160)
The most amazing, giant, heavy, rustic mirror from Home Goods.  Boy was it a battle to fight off other customers for this. ($250)
Cute little ruffle Pine Cone Hill bed skirt (purchased on sale).
Hanging the amazing mirror as my headboard!
Took everything off the shelves, now looking for ideas of what to decorate them with.

After:
Comfy, fluffy, white bed with Target bedding. ($80)
Rustic, floral wall sconces from Hobby Lobby. ($25 each)
PILLOWS PILLOWS PILLOWS!  In descending order: 1. $25 each from TJ Maxx, 2. $80 each, on sale from Pine Cone Hill, 3. Included with duvet from Target, 4. $90, on sale from Pine Cone Hill
Old, rustic fence from a torn down house down the street.  Bought a bunch of white frames from Home Goods and tied white ribbons on the back to hang them!
View of the fence on my wall
Plain wooden trunk from Hobby Lobby.  Mom painted it, distressed it, added the designs in the corners and added the hardware! ($70 for everything)
My shelfs from my aunts garage sale, which still need some design help. (free) All the frames and accessories are from Home Goods. ($6 - $12 each) 
Mirror from Home Goods that took the place of one of my many bulletin boards. ($40) 
Giant "bird cage" filled with white candles from Home Goods ($60)
SPLURGE: Giant metal 'H' from Anthropologie ($100)
SPLURGE: White velvet drapes from Restoration Hardware ($150)
This was a black metal bench with a tacky green cushion from Home Goods.  Mom painted it, distressed it, and recovered the seat with white terrycloth. ($50)
Little metal glass box from Home Goods with various balls from High Fashion Home and Home Goods ($30, $50 total)

I am still looking for more room accessories, so if you have any suggestions please let me know!  I also need ideas for what to do with my giant bulletin board (pictured above), as I no longer want to use it to hang pictures.  What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. put the bulletin board in your closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great Job! Love the new decor. For your bulletin board, why not try to find a gray
    and white wallpaper and cover the board with that, then find a big blaCk and white photograph and center it inside it. ThEn the old bullentin board could be just a huge frame around a big photograph. Or you can find an old image of a classic and have it enlarged as big as you want it to be. In fact you could find an image and enlarge it to fit inside the frame without the wallpaper background. I'll find you the link and leave you it so you can do it if you want to!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the link to the story about a huge blown up image. Www.purestylehome.blogspot.com The story is on August 9, 2009. The story will explain how and where to enlarge an image. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete